It’s been a month since the virtualization has been in place. Photos to celebrate!
All posts for the month January, 2009
Channel changing works. For future reference here is the script I used:
irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1
for digit in $(echo $1 | sed -e ‘s/./& /g’); do
irsend SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME $digit
sleep 0.5 # tweak the delay if needed
irsend SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME OK
I named it change_chan.sh and put it in /usr/local/bin. In MythTV under input connections you set the external change command to the path of the script with the name. The wording they used to describe it was confusing, but I got it.
Everything seems to work. However! I get a black screen whenever I go to watch TV. I see the screen overlays, and the cable box changes correctly, but there is a black screen. After class tonight I need to figure out how to capture a test image off the piece of shit.
As far as other services go, I got the other drives in, samba working with a guest account, and KTorrent sucks balls. It takes too many clicks to get to useful information. All this shitty apps make it abundantly aware that nobody listens to UI designers in the Linux world. I mean seriously. This is Linux. I want a torrent client that runs as a service and uses a Web UI frontend. Not a shitty web ui like KTorrents, hopefully more along the lines of uTorrent, although that one still needs work. I may try Vuze tonight simply because it sort of makes sense.
Soooo things to do yet:
- Fix black screen
- Run mythbackend as a service
- Test the storage through a reboot
- Find a better torrent setup
Pain in the ass. Oh, and the VNC server sucks.
I now have 3 fully functional domains. This is probably the longest span that I’ve ever had Linux running on a machine. There’s no content, so loading potential is unknown, but that’s another bridge to hang from…
Linux is only free if your time is worthless.
The NTFS partition on my HTPC/Server thing shit the bed.
I formatted the primary drive. It’s all openSUSE all the time now. I still have the storage drives isolated because I have no trust in linux as a file server due to windows interaction. NTFS support and SAMBA are sore spots to me, I know they work 97% now, but I have a habit of dragging out that last 3.
Where is this incoherent rant going? MythTV! This is now my 4th attempt at Myth. It’s name really fits. I think I almost have it at this point. I have the IR controller working to change channels on the shitty Comcast box, I have the capture cards seemingly working. Tonight after work I can test it to see if they work together. I currently have the backend running without any verbose errors. I have no idea if it works or not. It simply haunts me with the ever present:
AutoExpire: CalcParams(): Max required Free Space: 0.0 GB w/freq: 15 min
I think if I can make it record shows I’m through the woods. Then I have to worry about scheduling and the transcoding, but I think they are minor.
Oh, and I have to figure out a way to get it to pass the RAF (Roomate acceptance factor.) Back in the Windows Media Center days the 360 did a great job of it. I’m hoping to leverage UPnP for viewing, but live TV is also required. I may have to break down and get an extra cable box.
I wonder if the A180 will actually work.
Now I need content for SitA…